Lipa Later is a buy now, pay later platform that allows consumers to shop and pay for items in monthly instalments. Lipa Later is a Pan-African organization with a presence across Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, and Nigeria – with plans to open new markets in the near future. The company is growing quickly, and as such, we are looking to recruit and onboard a team of industry leaders with a hustler mentality, ambition and desire to rapidly build a Pan African business. This position is based in Kenya.
About the Role
We’re looking for a smart, driven individual to lead our Finance function in Lipa Later across its different markets, ensuring legal compliance and implementation of the organization’s mission and vision. You will be responsible for overseeing Strategic Finance and Corporate Development. You will have a unique opportunity to work cross-functionally and use quantitative insights to drive better decision-making across the whole organization. The CFO will be responsible for owning the company’s budget, management of cash flows and capital markets, financial planning processes and modelling, fundraising, capital structuring and running a finance team and department across different regions on the African continent. The ideal candidate will have the technical skills to support their recommendations and strong interpersonal skills to collaborate with various stakeholders such as existing & potential investors and board members on fundraising initiatives.
Reports to: Group Chief Executive Officer
Chief Finance Officer Responsibilities:
- Oversee the daily workflow of the Finance function across the regions.
- Ensure timeliness and accuracy of financial and management reporting data for management, investors and company’s board of directors.
- Oversee the preparation and communication of weekly, monthly and annual financial statements.
- Oversee the preparation and timely filing of all local and regional tax returns.
- Ensure compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Work with Human Resources to ensure appropriate legal compliance across all markets.
- Oversee the month-end close process, constantly reviewing procedures while eliminating inefficiencies.
- Oversee preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements.
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger accounts, balance sheet accounts and overhead cost allocation.
- Identify, acquire, enhance and implement financial and accounting systems, processes, tools and control systems. Evaluate departments and make suggestions for automating processes and increasing working efficiency.
Strategy, Planning and Management:
- Drive the company’s financial planning.
- Ensure cash flow is appropriate for the organization’s operations.
- Assess and evaluate financial performance of the organization with regard to long-term operational goals, budgets and forecasts.
- Provide insight and recommendations to both short-term and long-term growth plans of the organization.
- Create and establish yearly financial objectives that align with the company’s plan for growth and expansion.
- Participate in pivotal decisions as they relate to strategic initiatives and operational models.
- Providing ongoing insights and analysis of business trends and performance. Identifying and assessing underlying trends, opportunities, and risks and developing business recommendations. Partnering closely with regional finance teams to understand local performance and develop a wider perspective.
- Identify staffing and recruiting needs; develops and executes best practices for hiring and talent management.
- Developing regional frameworks, tools, and reporting such as pricing models, ROI calculators, marketing effectiveness measurement, and business case frameworks. Ensuring consistency across regions as appropriate.
- Implementing scalable and consistent processes to enable operational excellence in business planning, budgeting, forecasting, and reporting.
- Ensure cash flow is compatible with company operations, by overseeing the day-to-day accounting, recording, reporting, and internal control activities of the organization.
- Working with the finance team to ensure best practice processes and policies are in place, and to ensure compliance.
- Develops and implements departmental budget.
- Own the evaluation and execution of strategic initiatives, including valuation and financial modelling, leading due diligence processes, deal negotiation and integration planning.
- Performs other duties as required.
Financial Analysis, Budgeting and Forecasting
- Prepare and present monthly financial budgeting reports including monthly profit and loss by division, forecast vs. budget by division and weekly cash flow by division.
- Review and analyze monthly financial results and provide recommendations.
- Develop and maintain monthly operating budget and annual company operating budget.
- Manage financial planning and analysis. Supervise creation of reports, software implementation and tools for budgeting and forecasting.
- Mentor and develop a team of senior, mid and/or entry level employees – managing work allocation, systems training, performance evaluations, and the building of an effective and efficient team dynamic across the African Continent.
- Work effectively with cross-functional teams and leadership to evaluate and execute opportunities.
- Guide larger, cross-regional teams outside of direct span of control within company divisions.
- Key leadership skill and strategic vision.
- Proven track record in various Organizations in improving financial related functions.
- Significant experience working with external auditors, internal controls and compliance-related issues.
- ‘Ideally’ twelve (12) years’ relevant experience in Accounting & Financial Management, seven (7) of these years in a managerial role.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of group consolidation in multinational entities.
- Experience with complex business structures and hands-on experience with sophisticated transaction mapping and design from an accounting perspective.
- Ability to think creatively and critically and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and often ambiguous work environment.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills and organizational skills.
- A keen eye for detail and desire to probe further into data.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines – stick to time constraints.
- Strong analytical skills combined with a practical, quantifiable and structured approach to problem solving.
- Ability to perform rigorous financial, valuation, and broad quantitative analyses and familiarity with accounting & key operational metrics.
- Ability to adapt to the needs of the organization and employees.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of ERP systems, Computer Literacy & proficiency in Accounting systems – SAGE and expert level of Excel.
- High levels of integrity, strong management/interpersonal skills and analytical skills.
- Strong analytical and computer skills, especially with accounting software, spreadsheets and financial analysis.
- Able to interpret and clearly explain complex financial data to non-finance staff.
- Commercial and business awareness.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance/Accounting.
- Professional qualification in CFA is a plus.
- CPA (K)/ACCA is a good to have.
- Postgraduate qualifications in Accountancy or Finance, Economics or Management.
If you believe you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for the role, please submit your application quoting in the subject line the Job Title “CFO ” and attach a detailed CV with correct e-mail address and telephone contacts. All written applications and CVs should be submitted via the email below: email@example.com.