Lipa Later is a buy now, pay later platform that allows consumers to shop and pay for items in monthly instalments. Lipa Later is a Pan-African organization with a presence across Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda and Nigeria – with plans of opening new markets in the near future. The company is growing quickly, and as such, we are looking to recruit and onboard a team of industry leaders with a hustler mentality, ambition and desire to rapidly build a Pan African business. This position is based in Kenya.
About the Role
The ideal candidate will be working closely with our CEO on all aspects of exploring, building and executing an ecosystem-system strategy and launching the company’s commercial activities. This position will own the development and implementation of strategic plans to launch in new markets (countries) and support the markets’ sustained growth following their launch. This role will have shared responsibility for all entry into markets, strategy, development, partnerships, sales and marketing goals in the new markets.
We are seeking a self-starter who is highly collaborative and has experience working in leadership roles in Business Development, sales and marketing, start-ups etc. Above all, we are looking for someone who has a proven ability to wear different hats with little direction to get things done, has a passion for the entrepreneurship field, and thinks outside the box. Basically – an entrepreneur that can help shape our expansion and go-to-market in Africa.
- Along with various key stakeholders set the expansion roadmap and corresponding revenue targets.
- Develop and implement the company’s business strategy and organizational structure to launch and sustain growth in various African regions.
- Lead, direct and manage the new markets expansion project timelines. Set the project milestones and cross functional roles and responsibilities, identify the resource needs provided by the head office teams.
- Lead the go-to-market strategy for our expansions through creative problem solving and experimentation.
- Drive cross functional coordination across Growth, Operations, Product/Technology, and Finance to ensure successful expansions that serve as a solid foundation for future growth.
- Ensure flawless execution across all elements of the expansion in order to increase our own capital efficiency and deliver differentiated experiences to our customers.
- Direct the regional teams and future regional management teams to ensure operational consistency and best practices in driving revenue, customer and client satisfaction and operating margin growth.
- Partner strategy, cultivation, and prioritization, presenting to key stakeholders and building working relations with the management team, business model planning, negotiation and creation, driving deals to closure and managing relationships once deals are in place.
- Proactively map and assess key players within targeted African markets, and execute a strategy to continually engage with key stakeholders in these regions.
- Stay on top of competitive trends and developments within the industry, across key African markets.
- Extend into business development/account management and implementation as needed, for very large strategic partnerships.
- Drive teamwork and communication within direct areas of responsibilities to perform new markets related tasks. Serves a voice-of-sale and voice-of-customer for setting company strategy and direction in collaboration with functional leaders in the new markets.
- Manage cross-functional resource involvement and ensure continued engagement with the team and alignment with goals.
- Be point of escalation, internally or externally to support new market branches with support management and any related issues
- Analyze and report on key drivers impacting top and bottom line performance in the international markets; present regular updates to senior leadership.
- Advise on and select external regional partners and serves as their key point of contact. Owns budgets and negotiations with external partners.
- Represent the company’s mission, vision and values in all markets.
Measures of Success:
- Setting and delivering expansion project timeline and critical milestones.
- Market revenue, consultant recruiting, and profitability goals at launch and steady state
- Coordinating with head office functional teams to secure the resources needed for launch and sustained growth following launch.
- Partnering with regional teams to launch markets and sustain growth goals.
- Entrepreneurial and hustler mindset. A true entrepreneur – explore regions the company isn’t in today, and help us invent new approaches.
- At least 5 years work experience in relevant positions.
- Owned revenue, sales and Business Development goals in prior roles, and have a track record of meeting or exceeding these goals
- A team-oriented mindset and the ability to work with a wide range of individuals, including world-class thinkers on the Product side as well as with partners/customers.
- Amazing partner management, business communication, and relationship building skills.
- Strong intellectual curiosity, and an ability to synthesize large amounts of information and to quickly become externally credible.
- Strong project management and organizational skills and detail orientation
- Passion for our mission – a prerequisite
We’d love it if you also have/are:
- Entrepreneurial experience – a plus
- Founded or co-founded one’s own company – a strong plus
- Executive level position in a startup or tech company – an advantage
- Failed with your own startup – a plus (won’t hold it against you if you succeeded)
- Strong personal network – a plus
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment and various African Markets.
If you believe you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for the role, please submit your application quoting in the subject line the Job Title “GM – New Markets” and attach a detailed CV with the correct e-mail address and telephone contacts. All written applications and CVs should be submitted via the email below: email@example.com.